I remember posting awhile ago about needing advice for filling up my day. I had an infant who wasn't mobile or too demanding yet and being at home all the time was just boring. My friend Megan suggested I make a to-do list every day with even the most basic things on it (like reading books with Jaden) as a way to have direction, be motivated and have the satisfaction of physically crossing things off my list. It would also help see what I accomplished at the end of the day. I tried it and it has actually really helped me for the past almost two years, especially as I've gotten busier. The days where I create a list, I get more done. I feel more productive. I don't walk around aimlessly wondering what to do first or if I'm forgetting something.
Most of all, creating a list helped me establish a routine. I started out with the most basic, and yet most important, things on the top of my daily list and added from there. After a short while, I noticed a pattern in my list. I had come up with 5 things that were my keys to having a good day. They've been at the top of my list ever since then:
1. Prayer
2. Scriptures
3. Exercise
4. Shower
5. Breakfast
These are the things that don't change, no matter what I'm doing for the rest of the day. I don't always do them in that order, but I've found that when I miss even just one of them, my day doesn't go nearly as smoothly. They are my personal keys to feeling put together and on top of things. Those five things are how I take care of myself so I feel like I have something to offer everyone else for the rest of the day. They are how I invite the Spirit into my life each morning. I have some days now where I don't create lists, but when I do quickly write one out, I still put all five of them at the very top. I actually went so far as to buy a cute notebook that I would like to have sitting on my kitchen counter. I just write a new list on each new page, as well as any notes during the day. (Even random stuff like checking off how many glasses of water I've had so I make sure to get enough.) It actually surprised me how grateful I'd be for doing it--looking back through those notebooks is almost like looking at a journal in a way.
Anyway, I'm just jotting this down because I've felt a push to do so for the past few months. I know I've had seasons of imbalance and I'm sure I'll have them again. I'm not claiming AT ALL to be all put together right now with a perfect life ;)--I am SO far from it. I just want to remember what I've learned so I'm not so broadsided the next time a season of imbalance in my life rolls around again. I'm also grateful for friends in the blogging world who have shared what works for them and how they're trying to be better women, wives and mothers.
Thank you for helping me! :)
(Heather)
ReplyDeleteSuch a great reminder! My lists don't always make it on paper, but they are similarly structured ... even the water checklist, which is a magnet notebook on my fridge:). I find that if I'm in a funk, it's usually due to my letting a certain aspect of my life slide. When I have a directionless day, I usually kick it into gear by about 2 p.m. ... that's my crunch time, and it's amazing how much I can get done. But if I start out the day with a list, I feel so much better and purposeful:). Thanks, Audrey. You're awesome.
I love this! I think you just helped me out... I always make lists of things too because I love crossing them off- it comes from college habits- felt so good to cross off homework, AND from my mission- felt so good to see another day full and OVER (yes, over. I said it.) But half the time I forget to read my scriptures and stuff so you're right about writing them down. Then they will gnaw at me to do so I can cross them off! So thanks for this- it's perfect for me to see!
ReplyDeleteUmm.. this post is awesome!!!! I love my to do lists, and I love checking things off! Thanks for the idea and inspiration!
ReplyDelete