I need advice.
For all you stay at home moms,
answer me this:
What do you do during the day?
I'm having a hard time feeling productive and like I'm contributing to society
when I'm home all day, every day.
I know things will get crazier once I get into the playing/crawling/running around stages,
but right now I'm kind of at a loss.
I just feel bored.
You can only clean so much and cook so much dinner, let's face it.
And most hobbies are pretty expensive.
I don't go a lot of places because there's not much here to start with,
and it's a lot more difficult with a nursing baby.
So I'm in need of some ideas.
What makes you feel fulfilled and productive at home?
PS:
Don't get me wrong, I love this little nugget more than anything
and I'm SO glad I'm at home full time with him!

But I didn't realize I'd still be a person with needs after I became a mom :)
For all you stay at home moms,
answer me this:
What do you do during the day?
I'm having a hard time feeling productive and like I'm contributing to society
when I'm home all day, every day.
I know things will get crazier once I get into the playing/crawling/running around stages,
but right now I'm kind of at a loss.
I just feel bored.
You can only clean so much and cook so much dinner, let's face it.
And most hobbies are pretty expensive.
I don't go a lot of places because there's not much here to start with,
and it's a lot more difficult with a nursing baby.
So I'm in need of some ideas.
What makes you feel fulfilled and productive at home?
PS:
Don't get me wrong, I love this little nugget more than anything
and I'm SO glad I'm at home full time with him!
But I didn't realize I'd still be a person with needs after I became a mom :)
Hey Audrey,
ReplyDeleteI secretly (not so secretly now) follow your blog here and there. Congrats on your new little cute boy! This is Kira by the way, I went to high school with you, I think we had seminary together? I have a blog, but it is private, if you want an invite email me at mikeandkira at yahoo dot com.
Anyway, It does get busier as they get older, but for now I would say that some things I do when I am home and out of things to clean and do, I like to go to the library and bring home lots of books! I never knew I liked reading until I had kids and time to sit and read when they are napping.
Other ideas: Car rides, scrapbooking, blogging, going on walks when it is warm, baking new things, reading the Ensign, lunch with friends to inexpensive places, re-organizing my house, watch movies that I haven't watched in a long time, work out in my living room.
I know, I live such an exciting life ;-) But you learn to love the slow pace of life, but it took me a while to get use to it.
I do surveys online, and make a few bucks every now and then. I've also started a "there's no one to talk to journal" and i write down what ever pops into my mind. (pinecone reasearch and opinion outpost!)
ReplyDeleteHey girl! You are such a great Mom! :) Well the first thing that popped into my head was violin...Do you have your violin with you? Your little guy would definitely love it and it would be a good time to practice?! {I certainly wish I could do that! Haha!} Like some of the other comments reading sure has helped me whether studying the scriptures, or reading a fun uplifting novel, or studying ways to eat better, decorate better, etc! I will tell you personally with having a 2 yr old who I adore, it seems like it gets busier as they get older. If there is some hobby you can afford that you have been wanting to develop- DO IT! It is probably the quietest time I remember when she was that age. I have loved doing photography on the side...Taking snapshots of little things. Probably doesn't show on my blog haha! Thanks for the comment too by the way. I am getting a little nervous about the whole moving thing! You will have to give me some tips on how you guys moved, etc! I can't wait to be in your shoes staying @ home if it makes you feel better :) {PS: What is your new address? I want to send ya something. If you want to email to me that would great! :) }
ReplyDeleteA friend of mine crafts it UP now that she's a stay at home mom. Her little Sophie is just a couple weeks older than Jaden :) you can get ideas at her blog: pinkdoodle.blogspot.com Also, I am SO envious of you right now! School is my hobby right now and it's way too expensive and time consuming for my taste. ;)
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean! I keep a ridiculous to-do list that I write the night before. It has the tiniest things on it like saying my prayers, reading Charlie a book, etc. I feel productive when I can cross things off my list so I write EVERYTHING down :) If I don't have my list I feel like I walk around the house confused all day.
ReplyDeleteI used to feel like I had to "report" what I did when Tony came home from work, but I never had anything to say. Then I realized that even though some days I only played blocks with Charlie (or small things like that) that was the most important thing I could be doing. No one else can play with your baby the way you can so even the small things are important to your son.
I like to find new recipes online, library, walks, bring a blanket out in the backyard and read or just soak up the sun....
I seriously can relate to this! Sometimes I feel like I'm not being productive enough and I feel bad if I take time to do things for me... But I do like to get out of the house and just do something different. Connor and I love to go to the library a couple times a week, because they have story time for little kids, so when Jaden gets older, you should totally look into it.. Connor loves it!
ReplyDeleteI also love to read when Connor naps and I also love to digital scrapbook when I have time! I think digital scrapbooking is a lot easier and when I am done, I will just make it into a book!
On rainy days, we go to the mall, just to walk around....
I don't do too much, but here are some ideas! I hope that helps! It definately takes some getting used to once your a SAHM. :)
You could always try your hand at songwriting!! Hm......... :) One thing I did was a gratitude journal. You could do this for yourself or one to give Jaden later in life, or both. Take some time each day and write the things you are grateful for that day. It's surprising the amount of time it takes to recognize all the blessings you have been given that day - and also surprising that each day they are different!! Also, you could start planning for Christmas. Try and think of something meaningful that you can work on for loved ones. It's never too early to start and with a baby you will appreciate the chance to start early and have something really amazing when December comes. Hope it helps!! We miss you!
ReplyDeleteWhen you figure out the answer to this question, please share because I am in the SAME BOAT! Have you ever thought about freelance writing? Check out patch.com and see if they have one in your town. My friend in Georgia writes for them and loves it. Or just contact any local magazine and ask if they have any freelance opportunities. I started making a list of possible things I could try when I'm bored. Things like try a new recipe or make a craft or play guitar or mess around with photoshop or make some cards or places to visit, etc. Good luck...it is a very hard transition that I am still trying to adjust to. :)
ReplyDeleteHi Audrey! Heavens. . . the first six months of being a mommy. . . do I ever remember! What a transition. Actually, that's when I really got into running. I signed up for a half marathon because I needed something to work towards and I did it! I also made a few mommy friends and did a lot of scrapbooking and play-dates. Oh, and a looooooootttt of reading. If you need suggestions, I've got loads.
ReplyDeleteWhen your kid is about a year old, you'll have a hard time finding an opportunity to do new hobbies because well, you'll be chasing your little boy and keeping him out of trouble. It's kind of a roller coaster the first few years (starting with the day you got pregnant, as I'm sure you've already found out).
Good luck! Wish we didn't live on opposite sides of the continent. It'd be fun to get together!
Oh! And go to the library lots for story time if they have it and read and read and read to your little guy. It's so good for him! My daughter just turned two and we read all day it seems like and she already knows all her letters and numbers and is speaking sentences. It's such a great thing to do to give your baby a head start!
ReplyDeleteI felt that way with my first child, my house was always clean and dinner made, One of my favorite things to do was get together with other moms so our kids could just lay on the floor and look at each other but at least we got some social time.
ReplyDeleteNo I have to say that life is totally different with a 4 year old, 2 1/2 year old and 6 month old twins, Now my house is never clean, the second I get it there it's messy again, Laundry becomes more than a mountain and is never done, dinner is usually something easy unless I remembered to put something in the crock pot earlier. and the list could go on.
But all this comes to a point I promise, I still need time to do something that I enjoy, Find something that makes you happy, one of the best remedies I have found when I am wandering aimlessly is to get outside and breathe the fresh air. It chases away the boredom and gives me a fresh outlook on life!
Call me? It's a great way to spend your time.
ReplyDeleteAudrey. you never take my advice do you...?
ReplyDeleteI've been reading a lot of your past posts and love that you felt the same way I did. Thanks for being such an example to me Audrey :)
ReplyDelete