Wow.
Be careful what you wish for.
When we moved I hoped and prayed for a great ward.
Luckily we found that, and we're so grateful for it.
After that, I hoped and prayed for an
involving
calling--
one that would give me a chance to get to know people,
serve,
and have something to work on during the week.
Whoa.
Back up.
I don't know why anyone would ask for that, ever, but I felt like I needed one.
It's hard to be home all day every day,
not working,
and feel busy with actual important, meaningful things to do.
Anyway,
I definitely got the involving calling I needed,
although it wasn't quite what I expected.
I didn't really know what to expect, but this definitely wasn't it.
In fact, I laughed when I heard it come out of the member of the bishopbric's mouth.
"Sister Howell, I understand you play the piano?"
"Ha..., no, sorry you're mistaken, he plays the piano,"
pointing at my very talented and capable husband sitting next to me.
Supportive and somewhat-irritating husband interjects--
"Oh no, she plays just fine."
Glare.
Conversation continues,
talking about the needs in the ward,
wondering if I'd be confident enough to play in the Primary.
"Um, sure.
I can do that."
What?!
No you can't, no you can't, no you can't...
but I will not turn down a calling...
I'll just learn to play...
And I will.
Dang it, I will LEARN how to play the piano.
All 200+ Primary songs.
And I'll practice every stinking day if that's what it takes.
I never thought a church calling would require learning a new instrument...?
I'm learning to just laugh at myself,
laugh at less-than-ideal situations,
laugh at moments like this when it's obvious I need to be humbled and become teachable.
Very teachable.
And I really do know that this will be good for me.
It's where I'm supposed to be,
and now is the time for me to take advantage of the opportunity to develop my talents in a new area.
Which is good to know,
because yesterday was a train wreck in Primary.
Just sayin'.
Be careful what you wish for.
When we moved I hoped and prayed for a great ward.
Luckily we found that, and we're so grateful for it.
After that, I hoped and prayed for an
involving
calling--
one that would give me a chance to get to know people,
serve,
and have something to work on during the week.
Whoa.
Back up.
I don't know why anyone would ask for that, ever, but I felt like I needed one.
It's hard to be home all day every day,
not working,
and feel busy with actual important, meaningful things to do.
Anyway,
I definitely got the involving calling I needed,
although it wasn't quite what I expected.
I didn't really know what to expect, but this definitely wasn't it.
In fact, I laughed when I heard it come out of the member of the bishopbric's mouth.
"Sister Howell, I understand you play the piano?"
"Ha..., no, sorry you're mistaken, he plays the piano,"
pointing at my very talented and capable husband sitting next to me.
Supportive and somewhat-irritating husband interjects--
"Oh no, she plays just fine."
Glare.
Conversation continues,
talking about the needs in the ward,
wondering if I'd be confident enough to play in the Primary.
"Um, sure.
I can do that."
What?!
No you can't, no you can't, no you can't...
but I will not turn down a calling...
I'll just learn to play...
And I will.
Dang it, I will LEARN how to play the piano.
All 200+ Primary songs.
And I'll practice every stinking day if that's what it takes.
I never thought a church calling would require learning a new instrument...?
I'm learning to just laugh at myself,
laugh at less-than-ideal situations,
laugh at moments like this when it's obvious I need to be humbled and become teachable.
Very teachable.
And I really do know that this will be good for me.
It's where I'm supposed to be,
and now is the time for me to take advantage of the opportunity to develop my talents in a new area.
Which is good to know,
because yesterday was a train wreck in Primary.
Just sayin'.
haha I love it. That will be such a fun calling! I can't wait to start seeing some pregnancy pictures of you!!!!
ReplyDeleteHaha... oh Audge. I love you. Good luck with that! :)
ReplyDeleteGood luck!! :) It's not easy being at home all day (yeah, I totally know how that goes)thankfully you'll have PLENTY to do once you start getting everything ready for the baby! No joke. there's LOADS to do!
ReplyDeleteWow - that's great! Another instrument for the group!! You'll do great. We miss you!
ReplyDeleteAudrey, you are amazing! I have no doubt you will rock the primary singing world! Don't you love how husbands divulge "secret" talents!? You two are so cute.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Strut the bump for us soon, please!
haha oh man. But you DO play the piano, at least a bit. I remember you showing off one day in Hawaii, playing some EFY song and singing along to it. ;) Besides, it's okay. I REALLY didn't play the piano and then I was forced to play in church almost every Sunday during my mission in Armenia. And guess what? Though it seemed like a slow embarrassing process, I can now {basically} play the piano. You got this. ;)
ReplyDeleteHaha, that's awesome! And almost the exact calling I predicted you would get! :) Good luck! You'll do great!
ReplyDeleteWhatever Audrey...I think I remember that you played just fine :) I'm sure you will be great!
ReplyDelete