5.11.2014

Tour of China sprinkled with a little Singapore and Taiwan

While we were in Utah, Steve was working his way through China. He spent time in six different cities (Hong Kong, Macau, Dongguang, Xiamen, Xi'an, and Beijing) and got to spend some precious little time actually seeing some cool sights! I have no idea what his favorite or most meaningful pictures were from his trip, but he won't blog about it so I get to put whatever I want on here :). So here you go, this is what I thought was cool from his trip:

Terra Cotta Warriors




Gate in city wall of old Xi'an

Guard post on wall of Xi'an

Eating weird stuff

Goat feet

Snake

Common Chinese water snake

Peking Duck

Crab

Markets

Day market
Live scorpions
Night market
Did you know that doorways tell you the socioeconomic rank of the owners? You can tell by how far back from the street they're placed, and the number of little things on the top. I thought it was interesting.

Low status

High status
 The Forbidden City 
(hello Mulan)


Steve being a good subordinate and bowing to his boss :)
(Notice the people in the background taking pictures of them...they got stopped for like 15 minutes by people wanting to pose in pictures with the Americans dressed up like Chinese, haha!)


Tiananmen Square

 The Great Wall





Umm...I think they mean exit? Haha

You can totally take a slide like the Alpine Slide down from the wall. Awesome.


 Oh and then he went to Singapore. You know, no big deal.


Followed by Taiwan. 

Looking up at Taipei 101. The 5th tallest building in the world.

And at the top! Or close to it at least.

I am tempted to feel jealous that Steve's having all these cool experiences, but then he comes home and tells me that he feels jealous when I get to go be with family who he almost never gets to see. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side, right? I just love that I get to take part in his travels without experiencing the jet lag, long work hours or the weird food! I'm glad Steve enjoys that part of it for the both of us and brings me home stories, pictures and souvenirs!

3 comments:

  1. (Heather)
    Asia has never been on my 'want to visit' list, but whenever I see cool pictures like that, it's so foreign to me and so awesome-looking, that I think - yeah, I'd like to go there some day.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! These pictures are incredible! I have always been fascinated with the terra cotta soldiers. So, so cool! Glad you blogged About his trip ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, I'm pretty traumatized by that photo of LIVE scorpions on a stick.

    Also, I think I would die if Buck went cool places without me. In his job he may one day travel to England or Australia. Um, NO- so not going without me! (but let's get real... he'll have to go without me. Oh well, I'll throw a fit when the time comes. )

    ReplyDelete