5.13.2014

pioneers on parade


The first weekend in May is Dover Days. We love going to the parade and celebration each year (similar to Salt Lake's Days of '47 on a smaller scale). This year was a little unique...we got to be in it! We used it as a stake youth activity to honor our heritage and get excited about family history. We had youth dress up like pioneers and pull the stake's handcarts through the parade. We didn't get the turnout we were hoping for, but we still had enough people to make a decent handcart train.  Lucky Jaden got to sit in the handcart with some little friends and wave to everyone. He only had to go to "handcart timeout" once for hitting. Oh man, I don't know how pioneer parents separated their troublesome children... :)

It was an interesting experience. I've never served as a full time missionary, so I've never really felt like my religion was on display for the world to see and (potentially) criticize. Leading up to the activity I actually felt a little nervous. What if people confused us with the Amish? What if they mocked or yelled at the kids? (Or me?) What if they just didn't like us? I felt so conspicuous and...different

However, I was pleasantly surprised. We started really listening to comments from the sideline as we walked the parade route. We got funny jabs, "Hey, you're supposed to be going west!" to teaching moments from parents to children, "Yep, they went across the country like that and had to walk the whole way because they didn't have horses." I was surprised at how much people knew about us. It was cool to hear how many people said "Oh, those are the Mormon pioneers" because we didn't put the words "Mormon" or "pioneers" anywhere on our entry. 

After a little while, I let myself stop feeling so awkward. And as I walked, I let myself think about my literal ancestors who crossed the plains. They knew exactly what it felt like to feel different, to actually be mocked, scorned and hated, to stand alone. But they did it anyway. They left the region of the country I now live in so that my family could have the gospel and worship in peace. Now it's my responsibility to share that gospel with this region again. I figured if they could go through so much for me, the least I could do would be to share their story with pride for 30 minutes of my life as I walked that parade route. 

So I forgot myself for a few minutes, smiled brighter, waved bigger, and thanked my Heavenly Father in my heart for the chance to truly honor my heritage in that unique way. I hope that if we did anything, we simply helped bring the "Mormons" to the forefront of people's minds so that the next time they see a link or a video, they might click on it. They might mention it to their one Mormon coworker in the office. Who knows...but at least it changed me :).

Such a fun day! 


Love these girls and ladies I serve with!
Update on my yearly goal...I still have not done any family history work to prepare a name for the temple! Ahh! It's already May! I really need to face my fears and just dive in but I have no idea where to start. I am determined though. I will do it. ONE name! 

3 comments:

  1. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS regarding family history let me know!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post! What an example you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just catching up on reading your blog. Such a neat experience Audrey. I think it's cool that people knew who you were without you telling them. Go Latter-Day Saints!

    ReplyDelete