3.12.2014

Ruff and Blue

Meet Blue and Ruff the White Doggy.
If we had a house fire, these two items would be snatched as we were running out the door (along with our hard drives).
Seriously, they are Jaden's WORLD.


These are the two treasures of Jaden's childhood that will be tattered and torn sitting in my cedar chest for the rest of time. Every time I think about us forgetting Ruff in a restaurant, losing him in a store, or leaving him on an airplane, I almost die a little inside. I don't know who is more attached to them, Jaden or me :). It's just so sweet to see how a little boy can love something so much. They really have a special place in his heart, and therefore have one in his mother's. 

Ruff was just another stuffed animal in the pile until I decided to bring him with us on a trip to Utah a few years ago. He was the perfect size and I thought it would give Jaden some security and a reminder of home while we were away. Ruff definitely did his job! They've been inseparable ever since.


Ruff has actually started taking on a life of his own. One of his little quirks we learned over the holidays is that he does NOT like the song "Silent Night." (???)
Every time it would come on my Pandora station, no matter what the arrangement, Jaden would run to find Ruff, pick him up, cradle him, then come up to me in a soft--almost crying--pouty voice and say, "Ruff doesn't like this song..."
Then he would pout and cuddle his doggy until I changed the song.
It was really pitiful.
We decided to test it out one day. Steve started playing Silent Night on the piano and Jaden immediately dropped his cars in the living room (or whatever he was playing with) and ran into the playroom to pick up Ruff and tell me that Ruff didn't like that song. 
We were trying so hard not to laugh! 
It was cute. 
THEN a couple of weeks ago--a good two months after Christmas--that song came on in the car because I was listening to some churchy classical music CD. Same thing! He hadn't forgotten! 
I don't know what Ruff's problem is, but we really need to teach that doggy that Silent Night is an okay song to like.


I LOVE having a toddler. And I especially love that I have THIS toddler.
:)


3 comments: