3.26.2009

The Ten Virgins Performance

Tuesday night was my ward's relief society enrichment night. The theme of the evening was "Behold, the Bridegroom Cometh." Back in January the Relief Society presidency decided that they wanted to put on the play "The Ten Virgins." Steve and I had only been in the ward for about three weeks but that was enough time to know that I sang, so I got a phone call asking if I would be willing to be part of it. I wanted everyone to know that I would be willing to serve, so I of course I said yes. But I had no idea what I was getting myself into. :) I didn't realize that I was saying yes to an actual musical production or that I would be devoting my Sunday nights to rehearsal for the next two and a half months, OR that I would somehow volunteer for the role of narrator, which meant I had by far the most lines to memorize (basically the entire story line). I was completely overwhelmed when I finally fully comprehended what was being asked of me. I wasn't sure how I would do it between school, work, commuting, 3 other church callings, and a home and husband to take care of. But it was an amazing experience and I am so very grateful for the opportunity I had to be a part of it. I have a new love for the parable of the ten virgins and it has never felt so personal to me. I realized that the five foolish virgins each had righteous qualities--they just became too consumed with life and things that really don't matter in the long run. I also realized that the wise virgins weren't perfect--they just knew what was important and allowed the Lord into their lives. I got a small idea of how it might feel to meet the Savior when he comes. I hope that I will be ready.
My cute madre came down to support me and see what I've been stressing about for the last two months. It was so good to see her! PS--aren't the costumes awesome?! Through a connection we got to borrow Liz Lemon Swindle's (the artist) costumes and they were amazing! I felt like we were really in Christ's time! I'll be looking for my costume in her paintings...haha.My cute hubby was so willing to run sound for us when our sound person fell through. He got to spend a lot of time with a lot of estrogen. :) He was amazing and so willing to help wherever he could--including helping me with lines and listening to all the songs nonstop. He knows them as well as I do and I labeled him as my understudy :). I still catch him whistling or humming the songs--they're going to be stuck in our heads for months. I had to put this picture on here because we thought it was hilarious. After the show was over and people were leaving, the cast got to eat the amazing middle eastern dinner that the food committee had prepared for the evening. But we were starving so we just pulled up chairs around the food table instead of going to another. We decided that all sitting in a line looked like the last supper. It was awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! You have a blog! I'm so glad I can now keep up on your life! This program you were in looks awesome. That is such a great idea for a ward to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The work and dedication all paid off ten fold! You were wonderful as were all the ladies. I was so impressed and touched! Thank you so much for your stress, work and willingness! I love you and am so proud of who you are! Thanks for being my sweet daughter-in-law!

    ReplyDelete