It's hard to believe this time last year, Steve and I were in Hawaii with the fam.
(Nine-ish weeks prego and queeeeeasy...)
It's already been a year?!
It's even harder to believe that it's been FIVE years since I was living there as a student for the summer.
Hawaii, I miss you.
I owe a lot of my life to that little island.
It's amazing how such a short period of your life can affect you in so many lasting ways.
My first time really being away from home was actually really hard, even though it was "paradise." I didn't go to party, rather I went for school and to work and it was a struggle in a lot of ways. But you learn the most and grow the most from your struggles. I grew to love Hawaii not because it was fun or paradise (which it still definitely was), but because of how I changed as a person. I became a lot more daring, adventurous, independent and comfortable being by myself. I grew to love different cultures and the way people communicate. For the first time in my life, I lived as a minority among the different races around me. I realized how unique it really is to have blonde hair. :) I did fun things and dumb things--a few I'd take back, but most I'd do again in a heartbeat. I made lifelong friendships and I realized that the United States is not the center of the universe.
Fast forward two years.
I honestly think I owe my marriage (at least in part) to Hawaii.
Steve took me out on our first date in June 2008 (he didn't know he asked me on a date, but that's a story for a different day) and while he was cool and really fun to hang out with, I wasn't interested in a serious relationship. But he surprised me with a little bit of intrigue--he was leaving the next week to live in Hawaii for the summer.
Um, hello?!
I wanted to hear all about his experiences. I gave him my list of everything I'd done, along with everything I wish I had done, and told him I wanted a full report with pictures when he got back. He actually texted me a couple times while he was there, which I think I ignored (oops :)) but then when he got back, he asked me out again. I was totally turned off to dating and boys at the time, but I really wanted to hear how his summer was, so I agreed to go.
The rest is history. :)
My memories of this island are pretty much summed up in this song:
So thank you, Hawaii.
Thanks for changing my life.
I can't wait to see you again.
I hope it's soon.
Howell Family Trip 2010


(Nine-ish weeks prego and queeeeeasy...)
It's already been a year?!
It's even harder to believe that it's been FIVE years since I was living there as a student for the summer.
Hawaii, I miss you.
I owe a lot of my life to that little island.
It's amazing how such a short period of your life can affect you in so many lasting ways.
My first time really being away from home was actually really hard, even though it was "paradise." I didn't go to party, rather I went for school and to work and it was a struggle in a lot of ways. But you learn the most and grow the most from your struggles. I grew to love Hawaii not because it was fun or paradise (which it still definitely was), but because of how I changed as a person. I became a lot more daring, adventurous, independent and comfortable being by myself. I grew to love different cultures and the way people communicate. For the first time in my life, I lived as a minority among the different races around me. I realized how unique it really is to have blonde hair. :) I did fun things and dumb things--a few I'd take back, but most I'd do again in a heartbeat. I made lifelong friendships and I realized that the United States is not the center of the universe.
Fast forward two years.
I honestly think I owe my marriage (at least in part) to Hawaii.
Steve took me out on our first date in June 2008 (he didn't know he asked me on a date, but that's a story for a different day) and while he was cool and really fun to hang out with, I wasn't interested in a serious relationship. But he surprised me with a little bit of intrigue--he was leaving the next week to live in Hawaii for the summer.
Um, hello?!
I wanted to hear all about his experiences. I gave him my list of everything I'd done, along with everything I wish I had done, and told him I wanted a full report with pictures when he got back. He actually texted me a couple times while he was there, which I think I ignored (oops :)) but then when he got back, he asked me out again. I was totally turned off to dating and boys at the time, but I really wanted to hear how his summer was, so I agreed to go.
The rest is history. :)
My memories of this island are pretty much summed up in this song:
So thank you, Hawaii.
Thanks for changing my life.
I can't wait to see you again.
I hope it's soon.
Howell Family Trip 2010


Spring/Summer Term 2006
(I don't know where my summer term pics are so these are only spring...oh I hope I didn't lose them....?!)
(I don't know where my summer term pics are so these are only spring...oh I hope I didn't lose them....?!)
I miss it too... I've yet to return since our amazing summer there. Sad.
ReplyDeleteSuch a neat post Audrey! Makes me really want to go to Hawaii soon! :) Love the song too!
ReplyDeleteI'm happy to see that I made it into so many of those pictures- who needs summer term photos anyways? ;) glad you became more daring and adventurous... I'd like to think it was that one fateful night on the beach that I sat there next to you, convincing you of the adventure awaiting... you're welcome. ;)
ReplyDeletereally,though, let us all go back for a reunion.
Julie just gave me your blog address so hope you don't mind me stalking. Jaden is getting big and is so cute! What a darling family you all are. Are you guys coming out for the family reunion?
ReplyDelete