Trek 2009. Awesome.
After begging our bishopbric to let us go on this year's trek, we were able to attend the four-day excursion into the wilderness with our ward's youth and their leaders. We were called to be over activities/historians. Steve's parents were a ma and pa, and two of his siblings got to go, so it was fun to have the Howell family together. It was a great experience and I learned a lot about myself and the pioneers in the four days we were out there.
First of all, I learned that I can do hard things. We pushed our handcart 32 miles in three and a half days. We had almost every kind of weather possible--rain, lightning, hail, wind, scorching sun, etc. We pushed and pulled up long, steep hills while slipping in four inches of mud. We froze in wet tents, and got sunburned and exhausted from not drinking enough water. Etc, etc, etc.
But even though we did all that and more, it was nowhere near what our ancestors went through. While we averaged about 8-10 miles a day, their average was in between 15-22 miles a day. They didn't have the luxury of a stake providing them food, an equipment crew carrying everything that wouldn't fit in the handcarts, or tents with floors and sleeping bags designed for cold weather. While I will never fully comprehend what the pioneers went through, I have a more realistic imagination of what it could have been like for them.
I am so grateful for the sacrifices of my ancestors. They didn't just carry their personal belongings across the plains in their handcarts--they carried their faith. They carried the gospel of Jesus Christ that is the center of my life. It is because of them that I am here and that I'm the person I am. I was so grateful for the chance I had to honor their legacy and to grow closer to them.
It was a great time and I hope I can do it again. Not anytime soon :) but it's definitely something that we hope we can be a part of again. We have an awesome ward with great youth and amazing adult leaders. I hope that I can take the strengths that I've seen this week in all of these people and weave them into my own life.
I love trek! How awesome that you got to go with your husband!!! It really is amazing to think that the pioneers did "trek" (but a way harder version) for months and months. I loved it when I was a teenager but by the end of the week I was about done haha.
ReplyDeleteAudrey!!! Thanks so much for your comments they are so fun to hear it makes me both a little homesick and a little less homesick....hmm...I love your trek pictures and experiences! I've gone on the trek twice and loved it for the same reasons you did, it's the best! You can feel the spirit there so much, and just gives you a reminder of what life is really all about and a huge reminder and confirmation that the gospel is real and true. We miss you guys and love you too!!!
ReplyDeleteWow! too bad you didn't have your phone, it would have made my life easier last week! lol, i'm not mad! it sounds like you had a great time! see you in a couple days :)
ReplyDelete