1.17.2013

Amazing how quickly they know they're TWO...



We have a two year old!! I've seen it coming for months, mainly through the fits Jaden has started throwing. Yes, we were totally that family in the mall during Christmas with a child kicking, squirming and crying on the floor. The big kicker though was on Jaden's birthday. He figured out the word "no" a couple of months before turning two, but he never used it in protest. It was actually pretty cute and made us laugh. But ON HIS BIRTHDAY, Jaden woke up and the only word he said for most of the morning was "No, no, nooooooo....!!" I want to know how that happens! Is there a little switch in their brains that realizes they've been breathing for exactly two years so it's time to start acting like it?  It was amazing to me! But actually since his birthday we've had a lot less fits. I think we're finally starting to understand how Jaden communicates, so he's less frustrated. It has been kind of a challenge because he jabbers a TON in his own language but doesn't speak a whole lot in ours yet! I know I would be frustrated if no one could understand me. I think teaching language is the most challenging part of being a mom for me right now, just because I have no idea what I'm doing. When he does learn new words and letters, it's like a light switch--he catches onto them immediately. But if he doesn't want to try to say something, he won't. I thought at this stage I would ask him to say any word and he'd try to repeat it, but all he does is just give a little grunt. So I guess that stage is still ahead of us. We're loving his language right now, but we're trying to keep him from teaching US new words! For example, MILK comes from cows and cows say "moo" so for awhile Jaden was calling milk "moo." But somehow that turned into "BOOM!" I don't know how. Steve and I will catch ourselves saying things like, "Did you bring any B-O-O-M?" Haha, love his little language.


If I could say one thing about Jaden as he is turning two, it's that he is so much FUN. Yesterday as I was driving in the car to piano, I had one of those "Aha!" moments where I felt so overwhelmingly blessed to be Jaden's mommy. I am SO lucky to have him in my life. Next to Steve, Jaden really is my best friend. I love having him as my buddy and helper. He wants to help with everything right now and it's so fun to watch him learn. I have to constantly check myself to make sure I'm giving him chances to do things on his own. He's a lot more independent and capable than I expect sometimes. His time frame takes some patience sometimes :), but I'm finding so much joy in watching him figure things out and see the little wheels turn in his head as he discovers something new. I honestly don't know where the past two years went. They go SO quickly! I am more in love with this little boy than ever and I am so glad he wants Mama to be with him on his every adventure. I know it won't always be that way, so right now I'm just soaking it all up and letting every little "Mama, Mama, MAMA, MaaaaMaaaaaaaaa," melt my heart. We love you Jaden!! Happy 2nd Birthday, bugga boo!

Jaden's new english words:
 bus, bah (bye), no, NooooAhhh (Noah), ho ho ho (Santa), roll
Jaden's language:
 seh seh (please) (?), vroom (car), up-boo (open), un-nah (counting--every number :)), nnn-nnnnnnn (choo choo)
Letters:
 e, f, h, m, n, o, s, x (just the ones he says--he recognizes them all)
Favorite songs:
 Five Little Ducks, Once There Was a Snowman, Up on the Housetop (sings "ho ho ho" by himself for the whole chorus), Head Shoulders Knees and Toes, The Wheels on the Bus, If You're Happy and You Know It, The Wise Man and the Foolish Man
Favorite toys:
 LIGHTNING MCQUEEN. And any other car, plane, train, bus, tractor, fire engine or transportation vehicle he can get his hands on. Our favorite day of the week is garbage day. He grabs his garbage truck and watches the big truck come pick up our trash, turn around and pick up the neighbors' trash, then come down the street behind us. It's a big highlight of the morning.
Favorite foods:
MILK (or boom :)). He will have days where all he wants is milk, then a few days where he'll chow anything down he sees. Strawberries, yogurt, Reeses Puffs (thanks daddy),turkey rolls, string cheese, black beans, corn, mac n cheese, green beans, BLACK OLIVES 
Weight:
 29.25 lbs (78% percentile at 24 months)
Height:
 35.12 inches (67% percentile at 24 months)
Clothing size:
 mostly 24 months, with a few 18 month and 2Ts thrown in
States:
 11--Utah, Minnesota (layover), New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia (layover), Florida
Countries:
 2--United States and Bahamas
Modes of Transportation:
 car, plane, bus, train, subway, cruise ship, boat, limo, taxi, van (basically he's a seasoned veteran)


I have to show this string of pictures. We were taking family pics in Utah over Christmas and Jaden was DONE. Not in a picture taking mood. (He takes after his dad that way :)) So to get him to smile, we sang the Five Little Ducks song. We definitely got some classic 2-yr-old Jaden expressions! Holy moly I love this little boy!








Photos copyrighted by chelsieclarkephotography.com





3 comments:

  1. When we remember to take our trash to the curb, seeing the dump truck come by our house is a highlight to our day as well.

    And I love his words he makes up! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. [Heather]
    So cute! I'm so impressed about his use of 'no'. Joshua has been forcefully saying no for about a couple months now ... but I say that's the influence of older siblings. There's such a connection between a child and a parent. I remember saying to Matt one day that Wes and Kate were my best friends (besides him ;)), because they truly are, aren't they! It's been more difficult as more children join the family and takes more effort, but is worth it to become best friends! You're awesome Audrey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 2nd year Jaden! I love his "boom" hahaha

    ReplyDelete