One spring day I got a text from my lovely friend Jess. She and her hubby were heading out to NYC for a conference for him and she would have a couple of days to herself, and wondered if it would be possible for me to join her for one day. Um, YES! If my best friend is within a four hour commute from my house, OF COURSE I'm going to go see her! So on Memorial Day weekend I headed up. The plan was to drive to New Jersey on Friday and take the train in like Steve and I had done before, spend a few hours with her in the city and drive back home that night. Eight hours of travel for four hours in the city didn't make sense to Steve, though. He suggested that I use some of his hotel points (okay, all of them) to get a room and then come home the next day. That all of a sudden gave me the entire evening and the next morning! It was a last minute change, so Jess had already made plans for the whole day on Saturday, which would give me a morning BY MYSELF in New York.
I have only traveled by myself a few times. Well, other than the almost countless times I've flown back and forth from Utah, of course. I have that commute down. However, I am not typically a nervous traveler. I've done plenty throughout my life. So it was weird that I was most nervous about driving the few hours through New Jersey. I don't know why, maybe because I was putting my fate in the hands of Mandy, our GPS, because I have no idea where I was going? Or maybe because I don't drive long distances very much anymore? I had the commute to Rexburg down as well. So it was weird that I was nervous, but whatever. I had also never stayed in a hotel by myself. I wasn't worried about anything there, it was just weird being there without anyone else. Just a different feeling.
Anyway, so I met up with Jess at my hotel at about noon and we headed off to the Museum of Natural History. At least I think that's what we did? It's been so long since May, I don't remember. We stopped for lunch at a little deli off of 79th and Columbus before going to the museum. I had a Monte Cristo sandwich and it was SO. GOOD. I had forgotten how expensive food is in Manhattan though. Ten bucks for lunch. Anyway, we explored the museum, then took a short walk through central park. We ended up on a park bench for awhile just catching up and getting to talk about all the things we've learned from the trials in our lives. You know, the good conversation that you can just never have over the phone. Goodness I miss that girlie :). So then we met up with Garrett for dinner at Burger King in Times Square and spent the evening at an exhibit of the Terra Cotta Warriors at the Discovery Museum. It was fascinating. I wish I had my Chinese-culture-history-and-language-master husband there with me though. It's hard to do cool things without your spouse, you know, your ultimate best friend, especially when you know they would love it. But it was cool. Then Garrett and Jess walked me back to my hotel so I wouldn't have to navigate the city by myself at night. I said goodbye to Jess--sad, but it was SO good to have even just an afternoon of girl time.
The next morning I was ON MY OWN! I had looked up prices to different Broadway shows before I had left to see if I could get any last minute deals. I REALLY wanted to see Mary Poppins, but I just couldn't justify it. However, as I was heading out in the morning, I passed the theater. I went in to see the prices and they were lower than I had seen on the internet because they didn't include all the fees. So...I bought a ticket for the 2:00 matinee. Happy Early Birthday to me! I had to call Steve first because I am just not the kind of person to spend $57 on something frivolous without asking him. He told me to go for it! So I did and then headed to the temple. I had wanted to do a session, but it was so packed that even with pulling in as many chairs as they could find, there just wasn't enough room. I ended up doing sealings instead. The Manhattan temple is gorgeous and I was so grateful to be able to go, since I don't get the opportunity to go as often as I'd like. It was a perfect way to spend time in the city. I got there a little early so I went to the park across the street, sat at a little black table in the middle of a farmer's market, and ate my breakfast that I snagged from my hotel's continental breakfast. It was such a beautiful morning and I just people watched and was in heaven. I LOVE New York--it really is one of my favorite cities. Especially the area around the temple--it's such a nice, clean area of town right by central park. After I got out, I walked across the street and explored the area around Juilliard and the Lincoln Center before I made my way back to 42nd street for Mary Poppins!! The show was darling. I don't know if any of you have seen it, but you know at the end where she flies above the audience and up into the rafters? Yeah, I totally cried. Um, weird? I thought so, until I heard from several other people (women :)) that they did too. I'm sure it was because of the music. Such a cute show. Afterward, I just HAD to splurge and get a cupcake from Crumbs bakery. I broke my no sugar bet with Steve for it, but sometimes you've just got to live in the moment and eat the beautiful chocolate peanut butter cupcake. And I don't even feel bad. I know I easily walked off the 550 calories that they somehow feel the need to tell you you're eating.
And then I got on the subway, made my way to Penn Station, and headed home! I was so grateful to Steve for insisting that I get out and do something just for me. I didn't realize how much I needed that. For one day I wasn't a mommy or a wife, I was just Audrey. I got to imagine what I would do if I could do anything in the city I wanted, and then DO it. Of course I love being a wife and mommy more than anything in the world, but it was so nice to have a little break. I felt bad leaving Jaden with a ward member on Friday, but they were so willing to watch him until Steve got home from work. Steve and Jaden got some good guy time in that night and the next morning they went to the beach together. Steve kept sending me pictures and it was just so cute to see the role reversal. Usually I'm the one sending him the pictures :). He's such a good daddy and loved the one on one time. I think it was just as good for them to have that time as it was for me to have some time to myself. Honestly, the trip was quick, but it did SO much good to my soul. I actually gained a lot of self confidence that I didn't realize I had been losing. Learning how to navigate through New York City is really liberating. It was the perfect amount of time and so rejuvenating. Not relaxing--let's face it, New York is the very opposite of that, but definitely rejuvenating. Oh I love that city. Jess, I think we should make this a regular thing :), haha. Thanks for inviting me!!
And here are the pictures, mostly for your benefit, Jess. Sorry it took me FOREVER to put them up.
You ARE brave. Wish I could be that adventurous. :) Moms definitely need their "away" time. This is the first time I've done the "stay at home" role and it IS hard. Work was always considered a "break" for me so I totally get just needing a rejuvenating fix. I'm a little envious. :) Looks so fun!
ReplyDeleteAw! That was such a great day. Now you get to do this in Paris and London!! Ha. That will be even more empowering I imagine.
ReplyDeleteSo fun! You totally just sold me on the idea- sounds healing.
ReplyDelete